Friday, January 13, 2006

My Tour de Aqua* continues....

Dragged my butt out of bed early today to go for a swim at my old stomping ground before the latest wedding dress shopping expedition.

Activity: swimming
Time: 8.15am
Duration: 40mins
Mood/energy: alright.

With all the rain out here in the last 24 hours I decided to wimp out of using the outdoor (unheated) pool now full of cold rain water and took the wimps option of the heated indoor 25m pool. CJ was right - after 2 weeks of swimming in 50m pools, I felt like a ping-pong today back in a 25m pool..

Today was quite simply bloody hard work. The hardest pool session I've had in a long time. I've probably been spoilt - or got a bit lazy over the last few weeks - by swimming in salt water pools and using a pullbuoy**. I felt like I was sitting low - too low - in the water and my arms were just not producing enough/any propulsion. Another one of those "cartoon characters spinning their arms and legs and not moving" kind of days. But I didn't quit nor did I reduce the duration of my session - although I wanted to. Today was also the first time that I've kicked in weeks and again I'm very happy to say that there were no complaints from my knee/ITB. Happy days. Bumped into my uncle - the Ironman - as I was leaving the pool for a quick chat.

Summary: 38:18mins; 1,500m
WTD: 2.8kms
MTD: 8.45kms

* don't knock my french. I haven't used it in a long time and I don't have my french dictionary here!

** I've been using a pullbuoy to make sure that I didn't kick my legs and thereby aggravate my ITB. Pullbuoys also reduce the amount of drag - of course the Tim Tams that I've eaten over the last week may also have something to do with the increased drag ;-)

8 comments:

R2B said...

Hope that ITB is improving Jen.
You will be back in the swing of things before you know it!

Wobbly man said...

Way to go matey - do you have a rest day planned at all this year? Or is Satan invited to your reception too?

Hilda said...

How exciting being looking for the dress!!
You are so tenacious!!

BuckeyeRunner said...

Nice swim. I've never swam in a salt water pool before! I would probably keep thinking I was swimming in the ocean!

Horrie said...

That is a very good pool session there Jen. Glad you are taking precautions to look after your ITB.

Wobbly man said...

Okay, you are in town next week - will you have time to catch up? I can be pretty flex apart from Tues night - I'm at the tennis.

Don Juan said...

Good news on the legs.

French looks pretty good to my high-school grammar.

You were very right: a real wimps effort going heated over rain water. Like power-walking over running ;-)

Unknown said...

Oooooh! THE DRESS!! Never mind the swimming, Jen, just tell me about the dress shopping!