Saturday, March 12, 2005

Losing my virginity

6ft track - Saturday 12 March.

What an incredible day. I am having difficulty finding the words to sum up today's experience (I can't imagine how the competitors are feeling). It was truly inspiring.

Left work a bit early on Friday to head up to Katoomba. Today started at 6am when I was dropped off at Catalina Park to help with check-in. Met Plu (my first CR encounter), Spud and Mr G. After taking care of a few last minute things, the very kind men of the NSW Fire Service offered me a lift to the start of the race in their fire truck !! How could I say no ?? (and all of this before 8am !). Unfortunately they wouldn't turn the lights and sirens on for me :-( but I very much appreciated it.

I arrived at the start shortly before wave 3 headed off. The energy and excitement in the air was just infectious - the mood amongst the spectators was one of joy, happiness and anticipation. I can't imagine how the runners were feeling at this point in time. After the runners set out, we headed to Blackheath for breakfast and then onto Jenolan Caves, arriving about 40mins before the winner.

I spent the afternoon at the merchandise stand with a good view of the final 50m of the run. For the first time, I saw Kel compete which was pretty special. Carole & I gave him a 'high five' as he came down the shute at the finish. Met, and had a chat to Colin and, later in the afternoon OR (avoiding that sweaty, smelly bear hug !) and Mr G. Unfortunately we had to leave just as the presentation ceremony started so I didn't get much of a chance to meet any other CRs but it was a fantastic day.

So what am I doing with all this post-6ft inspiration - thanks to my physio, absolutely nothing. He has made me hang up my Asics for the weekend. Inflammation of both shins (and because I am favouring my left in particular, my left ITB is a little unhappy) caused my inflexible calves. My shins were actually warm to the touch on Friday when I was at the physio....not good. The rest of my weekend will be spent with ice, voltaren and lots of stretches and strengthening exercises for my calves and ITB. The physio has said I should be right to run next Sunday. I bloody hope so. Off to see him again on Monday morning.

Edit: after I wrote this post, I continued to think of 6ft. I couldn't possibly write down all the things that I wanted to remember (god only knows how the competitors feel) but one does stick in my mind. There were, I think, two 70yo + competitors. I hope I forever remember the goosebumps and sheer awe I felt when they arrived at the finish.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like it was a fantastic atmosphere. Sort of wish i was there to see it. (or at least the firemen!)

My fingers are crossed for you for the race next week!! Good luck with the physio.

Mel

Clairie said...

Hope this week goes by quickly and the ice, voltaren and stretching does the trick for you.

Great to see you helping out at the race on the weekend. Did you take any piccies? I would have given my left arm to have been there and partaken of the atmostphere.

trailblazer777 said...

I had big hassles with shin splints last year. So I just thought some of my experiences might be useful to share.

Along with copious amounts of ice, sometimes voltaren, and orthotics for short runs, I ran 1-3 times a week. Cycled lots! Took 2-7 days of rest/no running before races.

I also tried to always run on soft surfaces (partly due to knee issues), such as grass, only bitumen if necessary and NEVER concrete.

The cycling crosstraining sessions simulating what I wanted for running worked well...

All the best with the race.

http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/7549/runmara2004blog.html

http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/7549/runmara2005blog.html

Dave said...

Jen, it was great to meet you!

Thanks so much for showing up and helping, volunteers are few and far between (believe me I know) and it is help from people like you that enable everyone to run in events like 6 foot.

Bring on 2017!!

Hannah said...

sounds awesome... I'd love to be able to do a race like that at some point in the distant future... what a buzz!

Cirque said...

Jen - I'm so glad to hear that losing your virginity was so exciting. May it inspire you for many great personal running experiences in the future.