Friday 20 May – rest day
30mins of stretching at 5.30am – otherwise a rest day.
Saturday 21 May – 25mins run
Felt like crap this morning – the result of a little too much red wine last night, too little sleep and a slightly congested head. After dropping my folks at the airport, I set out at 9am to walk down to Sirius Cove to run the trail in the direction of Clifton Gardens. It was cold in the house so I wore a long sleeve top – which of course I took off even before I started to run.
Even though I felt like crap – and my cardio-fitness felt like it had disappeared in the last 2 weeks - I always enjoy this run along the harbour. Never fails to lift my spirits. I think that under this lardy body (thankfully the scales are slowing moving in the direction of pre-holiday weight) lurks the body of a trail runner. Absolutely love it. 30mins of stretches to follow. No problems with my calves. My hip was fine both during the run and after I had cooled down. It’s still not 100% but not far off.
Sunday 22 May – a source of inspiration !
Walked across the Harbour Bridge this morning at 6.45am. Stunning. What a way to start what turned out to be an amazing day – the SMH half.
After watching the start from Hicksons Road, we headed for the corner of George and Argyle St which turned out to be the perfect spot to watch the race. Unfortunately I didn’t see Kel but I did see a number of friends including Satan who sent me a lovely SMS afterwards. Owl’s CR banner and pom poms were a huge hit (and saved my hands from too much clapping) !!
So many highlights from the day – watching Brett Cartwright fly (quite literally) up the Argyle St hill; watching Vespa mix it with the best and smile while doing so; the smiles on people’s faces as they passed by; the old man who blew me a kiss as I gave him a cheer; JD’s wink as he passed us by at the end of the second lap; LL; the complete strangers (non-CRs) who stopped to thank us for cheering as we walked back to the start; Vat going back to run with LL as part of his cool down; seeing Rooster stand less than a km from the finish and clap and say encouraging words to every single runner/walker at the end of the pack who went by. Too many special moments to mention.* A few diet cokes at the Palisades afterwards went a long way to cooling my (by now) very sore throat. I’m very proud to be a part of such an amazing community. So supportive, encouraging and inspiring. Today has done nothing but strengthen my desire to run.
* there was one moment I plan to forget – a male runner spat in my direction. Landed not very far away from my feet. Gross. ‘Nuff said.
40mins of glute/calf strengthening exercises + 30mins of stretches tonight. Hip is still not 100% but there are no spasms or niggles – so it’s getting there, slowly but surely.
Plan for this week –
Monday
Strengthening exercises; otherwise rest
Tuesday
Run – 30mins
Wednesday
PT with Satan
Thursday
Run – 30mins
Friday
AM – Spin
PM – weights (upper body)
Saturday
Rest
Sunday
Run – 35mins
7 comments:
Thanks for your support all day with the CR Cheer Squad Jen. Sorry I couldn't make it for beers with all of you afterwards but my run mate from the bush was cramping up bad. Had to get him home ASAP.
Wonderful to meet you Jen - shame my time was so short in the Palisades afterwards with that long drive looming over my head the whole time. It was lovely to meet yourself and the rest of hte CR crew. Make some running/diet coke time for me when I'm down in late June!
You cheer girls sure seem to have been a big hit!! Not that I expected otherwise... Well done and thanks for the very kind comment in my blog.
Jen, thanks for making yesterday such a memorable event for all of us. LL
Jen,
Sorry you lost your voice, but you can be sure that you lost it above and beyond the call of duty! I think it took hours to wipe the stupid grin off my face - you and the others can take a fair bit of the responsibility for it being there in the first place. Thanks again.
sfG
Jen, thanks heaps for the cheerleading, a great boost each time we turned that corner for Argyle St.
Cheers!
Absolutely awesome effort from you guys out there on Sunday. I was so proud to be a Cool Runner. When I saw you at the start, I just had to veer over and say hello. I was completely overwhelmed with the effort you guys put in.
Post a Comment