Wednesday, November 16, 2005

1 step forward, 8 steps back

If you don't test yourself, how are you ever going to know your limits ?

I feel like I'm at my limits right now and not in a positive way. The only positive thing I have to say today is that I'm glad that I didn't decide to have the cortisone injection in an effort to get to the start line of the CC Half. Let's just say, my ITB and cortisone don't like each other. I was warned that there was a 1 in 5 chance that the cortisone would in fact flare-up my ITB, rather than settle it down. Yes, you guessed it. It's flared up. Badly. It has never hurt as much as it does right now. My knee aches and I can barely bend it. Someone pass the red wine. Clearly I was never meant to do the CC Half...

I miss running already. I miss my morning runs around the Bay. The pool isn't particularly scenic ;-) Hopefully I'll be out walking soon...

Off to see Satan for an upper body session at lunch...

Edit:
2 x Nurofen Plus with lunch and a trip to the gym at lunch left me feeling slightly more sane.

Activity: weights with Satan
Time: 2pm
Duration: 30mins
Mood/energy: stressed, pretty distressed actually

Satan had her work cut out for her today when I told her that I couldn't really bend my knee so it was back to basics - circuit of:
* (assisted) chin ups
* reverse flyes
* roll up things-Pilates style
* bicep curls,
repeated 3 times. Between work and feeling further away from my goals than at any other point on my ITB-journey over the last 3 months, today's session was a much needed stress relief if anything.

Went off to the physio this afternoon for an ITB massage (which had been suggested by Tom the Doc) in a hope to release my ITB somewhat. Ice and more drugs tonight. Hopefully it will be feeling better tomorrow because, quite simply, this really sucks.

14 comments:

2P said...

See what a good decision to withdraw was!

Sorry to hear about the pain though - I feel for ya. It is literally adding insult to the injury!

Red wine sounds like a very good idea, but not too much. A crook knee with a hangover would be a real bummer ;-)

Take it easy mate :-)

miners said...

I'm really, really sorry to hear about this Jen. When you decided you would get the injection, I got a little worried myself. I've heard of a few bad reports up this way, but didn't want to alarm you - particularly as I knew you would have looked into it really thoroughly (I hadn't heard of the 1 in 5 stat, but it wouldn't surprise me).

It's a shame your number came up this time - but don't be discouraged by it. The pain you have now will recede too, and you'll be facing things afresh in the morning (albeit slightly hungover from the wine).

Let's see how things are in the morning before we worry too much

Anonymous said...

Bummer Jen! Sorry.

Lulu said...

I just can't believe your bad luck with this stooopid injury. Hang in there! Wine sounds like a very sensible idea. Also Satan's pain will take your mind off the pain in your knee for 30 mins at least. As Miners says maybe it will settle down with another nights sleep.. here's hoping

TA and the Gnome said...

Jen, you realise that with all this rotten luck, there are good times ahead. It just the way life goes. I hope the pain subsides soon and you can concentrate on improving.

TA

Thanks for the vote of confidence :-)

Bennyr said...

Bugger, Jen.

I feel like a complete and utter turd, since I was crapping on about how much the cortisone injection helped me.

I really hope the knee comes good real soon. You're bad run with injuries cannot continue - you've just worked too bloody hard for too long.

I hope you can tolerate the black line for the next few weeks.

Cirque said...

This too shall pass Jen. 2006 will be YOUR year!

Don Juan said...

This first week of the enforced lay-off is always the worst. You'll be all the stronger for this.

Rob said...

Thanks for your good wishes for the Weekend Jen. I am sorry things are not going well for you but it is just a glitch in the whole scheme of things. I once was out for 10 weeks with a stressy and wasn't too fussed about it. I found it helped me to go a long to events and help out where I could. It kept me in circulation.

Tesso said...

Oh Jen, you poor little thing :-(

Been doing lots of thinking about injuries lately. So they stop you running for a few days, or weeks or months. But at least you know how great it is to be a runner, you have run and you will run again.

Not a lot of people know just how good that is :-)

strewth said...

Jen,you poor girl. That sounds so painful. However, those abs of yours are going to be amazing! I do hope a few more nurofen tonight and a good night's sleep will help make tomorrow a better day! I do like your quote - you are certainly being tested right now but things will get better and tomorrow WILL be a better day!

Superflake said...

Jen just rest and stay away from those drugs. Cortisone is never worth it. Get back to the running as soon as you can. No talent tonight either.

Hannah said...

You're going to be ab-fab (daahling!) when you start running again, I just know it. Think how motivated you'll be!

Look out 2006, here she comes!!!!!

I'll be donning those pom poms for you :)

Hilda said...

It is terrible you are feeling that way. But it can't last so long!! Continue going to the doctor!! You can't live in that pain. Struggle on recovering is what is needed at this point. Please focused on that, the year hasn't ended and certainly you will be able to return to your path, but recover first.