Well, not quite. Woke up this morning feeling exhausted despite having 7.5 hours of pretty solid sleep.
Activity: swimming
Time: 6am
Duration: 40mins
During my first lap I thought to myself 'ouch, this is going to hurt'. I could feel the DOMS in my back and tris after yesterday's session with Satan, but once I warmed up I felt great.
Summary: 40.18mins; 1,650m
Edit:
I decided that having lunch with my girlfriend would be just as therapeutic as a pilates class so again, no pilates today.
In an effort to do all that I can to overcome my ITB problem, I took myself off to see Tom the Doc this afternoon for a cortisone injection. I have been reading up on it over the last week and after speaking to a few people, I decided to try it in the hope it would reduce at least some of the inflammation in my knee and ITB. So for the rest of the week, I'm allowed to swim (though I have to take it easy when pushing off the wall) and do upper body & abs/core weights. No leg or glute work until Sunday.
Tom the Doc did however suggest that I could be off the road for closer to 6 weeks (rather than 4). Bummer. Right now, my knee is actually bloody sore. Whatever it takes I suppose...
9 comments:
Jen_swims? ;-)
Sounds like a nice swim. One day I'll be able to do that too:)
Looking forward to Friday:)
Hey, what's this??? You've been reading too much of lulu's blog methinks. Great distance for your first big attempt there Jen - I'm particularly interested to find out how you didn't get bored after the first 100m - that's when my mind starts to wander ...
Swimming is good cross-training Jen. Just don't let miners talk you into becoming a triathlete.
With the injury - it's important to overcome it rather than make things worse by doing a half.
You want to be running and racing freely in 12 months' time. The 10k at Canberra looks like a good goal - hope to see you there.
Jen
I have just caught up on your decision to not run. Tough break, you didnt die wondering about trying to get to the start. You know in your heart of hearts that oyu have made the right decision, let it be fuel to stoke the fire for that next crack. Good on you Jen, your dedicated support to so many others has been brilliant and your journey an inspiration to all that have followed it. Remember there is no shame in reasessing a goal, just keep true to yourself.(that sounded a bit Marcia Hines actually!)
Starfish!
Some days you wake up just like that, but as soon as you start working out it goes away. As long as you continue with that swiming your VO2 will continue active so don't worry about running but recovering, which should be on the process of achiving the goals for the next year.
Here's a virtual hug.. hope the jab wasn't too painful and it does the trick for you. I miss my Sunday running buddy. I'm supposed to do 2 hrs on Sunday and it's going to be very dull!
Hi Jen,
So you made the decision to get a shot. Did you get it into the knee or into the ITB itself?
I was advised to no swim as the leg kick on some people can be just as bad as running. No weight bearing on the joints but it is still aggravating the ITB as your knee bends slightly with each kick/turn. Maybe take one of those floating things between your knees to keep the legs really straight???
Update us on the healing process and you know what - 6 weeks in the whole scheme of things is nothing!!!
I had 8weeks off and it went in a blur. I can't remember not running now!!
Post a Comment