My shins, and the right in particular, are (still) sore today. Yesterday I was frustrated. Today I’m trying very hard to feel blah as I watch the clouds roll in from my desk here at work (the fact that I have spent most of the day at my desk has not helped my mood). I probably haven’t stretched or strengthened my calves as much as I should have recently – but otherwise I don’t know what else to do right now. I’ve been obeying the 10% rule, taking things very easy, doing a lot of running on softer surfaces (grass & treadmill), I have new shoes and orthotics but my stoopid shins still aren’t up to it. You’d think that after a year I would have managed to get past 8km without breaking down... Off for acupuncture on Wednesday for my usual neck/shoulder treatment but I might mention my shin problem as well. Otherwise I think I’ll take myself off to G’s witchdoctor to see if he can whip up a spell for me...I'll try just about anything right now.
CR drinks last night was a fun night. After a very shitty afternoon at work and a purge which the lovely Owly listened to, I got myself a drink and tried to forget about 'stuff'. Met the delightful Lulu and Mr Lulu. Lulu, Owly and I have agreed to go for a C2S training run (obviously the alcohol had limited the pain I was feeling from my shins). I also met, and had a long chat, with Diane – absolutely lovely. Crawled into a taxi with Mr Jen as everyone else headed for the Lowenbrae (a wise move I think). Shared a kebab with Mr Jen on the walk home (which I must confess I really really enjoyed) and got home and turned on the telly just as Le Tour reached the last 5kms. Vegemite toast, coffee and Le Tour – not to mention Mr Jen’s company – nice way to end what largely was a pretty shitty day.
Woke up this morning feeling surprisingly good. Have spent most of the day at work but ducked out at 12.15pm for a session with Satan. I felt a lot better today – stronger and less lethargic than I did on Wednesday. My glands in my neck are still up and a have a slight sniffle but I seem to have avoided too much of a cold. Today’s session with Satan was tough – upper body session with step-ups between each exercise to keep my heart rate elevated. It worked. Was due to run tomorrow. Will have to settle for a walk instead. Bummer.
6 comments:
Hi Jen - so sorry to hear your shins are playing up still. Have you thought about doing some water running - I've heard its very effective.. Alternatively, you could try the red wine and chocolate treatment that I subsribe to!
Bloody stupid shins!
.....or the cappuccino and chocolate treatment that I subscribe too!!! Preferably lots of chocolate - isn't it good for you?!!!
Hi Jen,
It was great to meet you at drinks and I'm looking forward to running the C2S with you and doing our training run. I did most of Heartbreak today and it's not too bad really!.. We just need to get those damn shins better. I was thinking about it today and I wonder if doing three sessions and adding some speed work is too much. If you are going to do three, maybe you should stick to easy runs. The 10% rule applies to intensity as well so adding a run and some intensity might be too much.. I suppose I'm agreeing with Plu really.
Go to the Witch Dr - he apparently is amazingly good - ORunner uses him too!
Jen, I've got to say that I agree with Plu... to a certain extent. Speedwork is the best way to delay your recovery. It's how I managed to drag mine out for so long - I just couldn't resist a bit of a fast run or a bit of hill work (strange, I know).
BUT... that doesn't mean that you have to give up on run club - it's too much fun for that. Just drop back a level so that you're just treating it as a (very short) long run. Do the same session as everyone else, but do it slower.
What you need now is lots of easy time on your legs (with lots of ice and massage of course) - the thing that you don't need is stress on your legs. So, no hill sessions, no speed sessions, lots of *gentle* running. Go for it :-)
sfG
Post a Comment