Sunday 23 October - my longest and toughest run so far...
Had a terrible nights sleep. Had my first Half marathon dream so far and it was really, really strange - I was running a Half in Lebanon (no idea why Lebanon) with a chest injury (I'd been stabbed or somethin'), I couldn't find my shoes and my parents had flown over to watch me. Yikes. I told you it was really strange. I woke up feeling very stressed & unrested.
After some toast and honey, I jumped in the car and headed to meet the Owl at King George Park at 7.30am for a lap (or two) of the Bay. We set out from King George Park and headed towards the canal. It was really warm already. After a lap of the canal, the Owl wasn't feeling very well so we headed back to our cars at King George Park. The Owl left, I collected my iPod and then set out for a lap of the Bay (including the canal) by myself. Probably my toughest run physically and mentally. I picked up the pace a bit after leaving the Owl and paid for it. I was reduced to a shuffle that Cliff Young would have been proud of during the last 20mins but at least I kept moving forward.
Summary: 90mins; 15kms!!! Woohoo
My ITB was good. A bit sore after I had driven home again but nothing that a bit of ice and rolling pin action won't fix. I do have some nasty bruising & blisters on 2 of my toes; very unattractive.
I was so stuffed when I finished the run, my first thought was "how on earth am I going to be able to run another 6kms during the Half". But then I decided not to think about that and instead to celebrate the fact that I had just run 15kms and it was on the back of my toughest training week ever. With an easy week leading into the Half, I will fly :-)
I finish reading Pat Farmer's book yesterday. Incredible. "...nothing is impossible if [you] have a dream - if [you] set [your] heart, mind and soul to making it come true and prepare to put one foot in front of the other."
This week - as I mentioned, probably my toughest training week ever. No wonder I'm tired right now and ready for a nana nap:
Satan - 2
Runs - 3
Swims - 2
Pilates - 1
Massage - 1
The week ahead is (thankfully) a recovery week...
Monday: AM: walk to work (1hr), PM: Satan + pilates
Tuesday: 40mins run (another lap of the Bay)
Wednesday: rest
Thursday: 40mins run
Friday: spin class OR swim (depending on ITB)
Saturday: Satan + 20mins run
Sunday: 50mins long run
9 comments:
Well done Jen! I'm glad to hear you pulled up with no real problems.
You'll be fine for the other 6kms, you'll have done more training and you'll also be more rested. The atmosphere and the other runners will take care of the rest. I wish I could be there!
That's a great run. Don't worry about the rest of the run.. it takes care of itself with a bit of adrenalin and the fact that you will have done 6 weeks more training by then, you'll do it no problems.. don't forget you 14kms in the C2S without any problems.
*hugs* don't you worry about the extra 6kms... it just sort of gets swept up in the moment :) Honest :)
And I can sooo sympathise on the pre-race dreams...dread to think what mine are going to be like before the big-M !!!
Top work, Jen.
Don't worry about another 6K, the adrenaline of the day will get through - and if I finish before you I'll cheer you in.
You and the Owl weren't the Bay's only victims this weekend. I aborted a planned two laps after the first. Rest weeks all around I say!
Nice one Jen - you sound well prepared and I wish I could be there for your first half. Although I would have to come up with some new distraction techniques! I hope the Owl is okay!
Good dream Jen, can't wait for the ones you will have for your first full or 6' :-)
Don't worry about the extra 6k. Now you can do 15 it doesn't get tough again till you get into the 30's - true.
Congratulations mate.
Well done on the 15k Jen. And in just 90 mins. Great stuff!
Excellent Jen! Nothing silly now for a couple of days, recover and you will be stronger for the effort. Remember keep chipping away!
Onya Jen. Yes, as the wise Fox says - your now in recovery for a day or two. Take it easy ! :)
Post a Comment