Monday, October 10, 2005

Obscene language warning

You have been warned.

What a difference 24 hours makes. My knee/ITB is fucked this morning. Despite how good it felt during yesterday's run & despite stretching/rolling etc after yesterday's run, it niggled during yesterday's afternoon when walking down stairs or after sitting for a while (watching the cricket). After my walk to work this morning, it's stuffed. Can't walk properly now. Hasn't done this since it first flared up after the C2S. Feel like I'm back at square one again. Grrr. :-(

Oh and to top off my marvellous mood this morning, despite the fact that I have 190 songs on my iPod, during my walk to work this morning it played 98% of the same songs as it did during yesterday's run and in the same order!! WTF. There is supposed to be a reason it's called a shuffle...

Walk to work (1hr 7mins; approx. 8kms).

*****
Well can I first say that CRs rock. Thank you. I truly appreciate it :-)

As suggested I took my frustrations out in the gym. Got on the bike to warm up and aborted it within about 5sec. Knee didn't want to ride (nor walk nor run) today so I did my ITB stretches instead. Satan had her work cut out for her today - she had a program designed around my lower body and glutes today. Needless to say, given that I couldn't bend my knee without a niggle, that program went out the window and we went back to an old faithful, yet bloody effective, upper body circuit consisting of:
* push-ups
* lat pulldowns
* tricep pushbacks
* bicep curls
* abs stuff,
repeated 3 times. I don't think I've ever been more exhausted after a session before. My arms felt like jelly; pushing my glasses back up my nose has been an effort this afternoon :-) More ITB stretches to finish.

Took myself off to see my wonderful physio this afternoon. I'm really impressed and happy with her. She works constructively; puts me back together by adjusting/modifying my existing program, rather than simply telling me to stop exercising & come back in a week.

Briefly she thinks my ITB is on the improve (said it wasn't as tight as it was 10 days ago) but it was probably the hills that pissed my ITB off yesterday (given my last 2 long runs have been on the flat and only 5mins shorter than yesterday's run). So 1 x ITB massage later (bruise report to follow tomorrow) I was heading back to the office under instructions to:
* continue icing my knee
* continue glute & VMO strengthening exercises
* continue glute & ITB stretches
* stay away from hills
* go easy during tomorrow's intervals session (if I choose to do it).

I highly doubt that I will run tomorrow - might try and get to a pilates class instead. Thursday's hill session is now a flat easy-ish run and I'm to call her on Friday morning to discuss how its been going and what modifications need to be made to my program for the weekend. I'm now feeling much more positive now :-)

17 comments:

2P said...

Ouch! Sorry to hear about the knee Jen. Still 8 weeks to Tuggerrah though - plenty of time ;-)

Katie said...

Jen I am so sorry to hear about the itb!!! Swear all you like...it is so frustrating. This was what happened to me... just when I thought it was better... bang! My physio said the pain was simply the tight muscle rubbibg on the bone near the knee. You need to let that inflamation go down before you run again... ice, antiinfalmmatories blah blah. Don't do what I did and run with pain... it just makes it really cranky! It may be that your sunday run was just a that bit longer to irritate it. See what the physio says. Give me an email if you want to chat, whinge, swear etc!

I hope your day is a bit better!
Katie

CJ said...

How frustrating - sounds like you're shuffling more than your Ipod!!!! Work out your frustrations with Satan - might make you feel better. Hopefully the physio will fix you up.

Lulu said...

Just a quick question? Are you walking in the shoes with your orthotics in? If not then you might need to do that. I found with my niggles that if I walk around in the wrong shoes I get problems, that's why I ended up getting orthotics for my work shoes.

Anyway I hope the physio boys can sort you out so you can get back to training. Don't rush it though as there are plenty of half marathons to run. I know you've set your heart on this one but it's not worth getting injured and being off for weeks. It's only a few weeks ago that you really started training. This happened to me a few years ago when I tried to step up the training, I kept getting injured and so in the end I just had to go with the flow and finally I made it to the half marathon start line!

Now Dr Lulu advises a trip to the Lindt cafe.. guaranteed 100% proen to work cure for all running ailments. I'll email you and the Owl so we can organise something. This comment is nearly as long as your post.. maybe I can set a record for most rambling comment :)

Lulu said...

Not to mention post with most mistakes in it.. my typing sciles seem to ave abondiend me two!

miners said...

Really sorry to hear about the knee problems Jen. Don't be discouraged, it will also pass in time - and it will also leave you with plenty of days left for Central Coast. Just keep doing the sensible things you have been doing.

(and please forgive me for laughing out loud at your ipod probs - I promose I won't ever do that again)

Horrie said...

That's terrible news about your knee Jen. Hang in there and do whatever it takes to get back out there again. However, don't rush it as you are in this for the long haul.

Superflake said...

@#&^!$^%*!. Bugger. Hope the knee/ITB gets better Jen. And I agree chocolate therapy is the only cure.

Cirque said...

Chocolate and red wine.

Gronk said...

Oh dear. Sorry to read about the knee Jen. Fingers, toes etc crossed for you..

Don Juan said...

Shocked at the language, you should write film-scripts for SBS movies.

It's an emotional roller coaster this awful running business. Good idea to see the physio. You're doing everything right, just maybe attacked the hills a bit too early.

TA and the Gnome said...

Jen, Jen, Jen. I'm shocked. Shocked, d'ya hear me... Smear you mouth with Voltaren and wrap it in Glad Wrap :-) :-) :-)

Seriously, I'll take all the support you've given me recently and return it to you doubled. Relax. Don't push it. You'll get there OK.

sfG

Hilda said...

Ok, I can understand you are angy, but the thing is to learn that recovering is important and that it doesn't take one day besides you stretch or do as many things as you can... I have to learn that too... so if you have plans as 2p said.....

Katie said...

Sounds like a good physio!!
I am glad that your feeling a bit more upbeat!

Tesso said...

Jen, I like the nice happy ending to the blog entry :-)

Taking it easy for a few days is nothing when you think of the big picture - gotta be right for that half mara!

Oh, and even though I've upped my pgm your gym workouts still make me feel like a wuss :-(

Bennyr said...

Hi Jen,

Seems I've caught this post after the ITB anger. I hope the recovery is continuing to go well - the Central Coast beckons for both of us, with no pesky hills.

Cheers,
Ben

CJ said...

Good to hear you are feeling much more positive today :)) I definitely agree with the chocolate cure - funny that!!! Take care and hope to hear of your running exploits very very soon.