Yep singing out loud this morning in the rain and (of course) I got sprung by a man walking his dog - much to his amusement. :-)
Activity: run (intervals)
Time: 6am
Duration: 40mins
Place: my favourite magpie-less oval
Mood/energy: good; good nights sleep; felt well rested
ITB report: blah...
On the program was 15mins warm-up; 10mins 30/30sec; 15mins run home. It was misty with a slight drizzle this morning when I left home. Probably my favourite conditions for running. I actually felt good during my 15mins warm-up which is a bit unusual for me. Calves are much happier after the massage on Tuesday afternoon.
Headed up to the oval for my 10mins of 30/30sec. After the first few I had to walk the 30sec recoveries but that will come with improved fitness I suppose. I enjoyed this session much more than the 2mins intervals I did on Tuesday. Once I had finished the 30/30sec I stopped to stretch my calves and then headed to the trail near Middle Head on the way home. The view was stunning this morning; the misty rain was rolling in through the Heads which were partially obscured. Simply breathtaking. About 5mins later, the skies opened and I got thoroughly drenched on the way home and had to strip off my singlet and shoes in the hallway so I didn't drip water through the house - but it was worth it. Really enjoyed it.
Shins are a bit tender (which is pretty usual for me after an intervals session) but nothing that some ice and a day or two of rest won't fix. The ITB however isn't very happy. I taped my knee and got through the intervals without a problem. Perhaps I shouldn't have run on the trail on the way home but (a) I've missed running on the trail and (b) it's relatively flat so I thought it would be ok. Even with the tape there was a definite niggle in my knee on the clawback as I was getting home and (even after icing this morning) I can feel it a little walking around the office hours later. A question for my wise fellow bloggers - at what point do you decide to pull the pin on a particular goal and focus on getting back to 100% first before again chasing your goals/dreams ??
Edit: almost forgot. Have now got my flights and tickets lined up for our trip to Melbourne for the Australian Open in January. Of course, being the runner that I am ;-) I had sent an email to my Melbourne friends Obi-Wan, Pepster and Wobbly Man to warn them that I'm on the way even before the flights were booked!
Saw my physio and Andy the Pod this afternoon and am feeling much more positive as a result. I'm going to drop my orthotics off to Andy on Tuesday for an adjustment. I should have them back next Thursday - perfect timing actually as next week is a recovery week so my next interval session is not for another 10 days. Under instructions from the physio to swap tomorrow's spin class for a swim, to keep up the stretching and & strengthening and to tape my knee during Sunday's long run (I actually think that I taped it a bit too low this morning which may be why I've had niggles today). Failing that, the next step will be cortisone but we will cross that bridge if we have to. Thank you wise bloggers!
By the way - it was "Dancing Queen"...
12 comments:
Gota have a goal matey ! Yours should be do just get out there and run without pain or niggles. Don't put too much on your plate, Jen. Patience is the key. :)
Jen I'm a believer in never say never (almost) - remaining optimistic is an extremely powerful tool.
My take is that pulling the pin too early can lead to diminished motivation or even depression (however mild or severe).
You do however have to be sensible about it. With a bit over 6 weeks to go. I would suggest focussing on altering your expectation rather than canning it. If you expected to run all the way in a certain time then consider a slower time or not running all the way and/or both. Then you can adjust your training down (or even take a break) accordingly. The emphasis here is on doing what you can while the injury is healing (just not making it any worse is not good enough).
Try to think of being the best that you can be in relative terms i.e. this is the best I can be given this set of circumstances.
If a few days out from the event you think you are in danger of harming yourself pull the pin and be satisfied you did all within your control to be ready and find the next thing to focus on.
Cheers, 2P
Ah.. 30/30s one of my favourite sessions. Nice one Jen, good to see the injuries at bay.
Gronk is a wise man :) Patience is the key. It took me three years or more to be able to the training to even think about getting to the start line of a half marathon. Everytime I got injured I had to start again. This is the first time I have been able to train consistently, now over a year of running every week at least. I've probably jinxed myself now :0.
So, why don't you wait and see what the pod/physio's say this afternoon. If you want to run the Central Coast Half then I'm sure you can do it. I'd be tempted to cut out any speed work.. it's too much stress on the body and you know that there are some who say that doing lots of medium paced running is better for you. Certainly less impact. So if you do want to do it, why don't you talk to the Lil'Elf and adjust your programme a bit. Then you will be able to make the start line. The question then is are you running it just to finish or are you going to be disappointed if you don't do a reasonable time. If it's the former then you could probably run it now, with a few walk breaks thrown in, ITB permitting. Sorry to ramble on but I have sooooo been there soooo many times I could probably write a thesis on it.. in fact I think I just did :)
Glad you had a nice run - sorry about the consequences. Not sure about your query there Jen. I'm not a really good candidate for a sensible answer. I might have totally cut back these last 5 weeks like a good boy, but that is VERY rare for me. I'm usually the one with no discipline.
It would be a shame for you to not keep looking forward to the CC Half goal - especially since I now look like being a starter ;)
btw - just what exactly were you singing this morning (please don't tell me it was the obvious choice - I was hoping for another Kylie number)
I have to agree with the advice already given by the wise ones above Jen. Good luck with the physio and Andy.
I'm also wondering about the song :-)
Chocolate therapy and none of those protein bars, they don't count. Read my blog more if you want the don't start again until fully recovered story.
Jen, how do you know when to pull the pin?
When you're no longer enjoying the journey .....
Well Jen... lots of wise words there! I think only you know when to pull the pin... you know how your ITB is feeling. I think Cirque hit the nail on the head...stop when it is not fun any more! If you are in pain all the time and running becomes frustrating and distressing then it is time to pull the pin or maby just readjust your expectations of the race. My thoughts about my marathon was that I did not want to do the run simply out of my own stubborness and hate every minute and never want to do it again. As cirque pointed out once I stopped enjoying running because of pain and frustration I thought enough!
It is still 6 weeks to go... so time to have a think. I am sure the physio and pod will give you good advice!
Only 2 days and we can have a really good ITB whinge :) and food therapy!!
Jen,
Gatsby here.
Quote
"at what point do you decide to pull the pin on a particular goal and focus on getting back to 100% first before again chasing your goals/dreams ??"
The line in the sand is when you're just aggravating symptoms rather than causing permanent damage. A medical issue. This is my workers compensation experience - I must have read several thousand medical reports over 6 years I worked in the area.
But before you get to that threshhold, you'll probably approach a point where running is not pleasant and enjoyable.
I've run for months without being 100% and then done half marathons and six foot track. One of the best decisions I made was to persevere with the niggles and low grade symptoms and keep running.
Much of medicine is no less gray than law and I'm not adverse to getting second, third and fourth opinions on chronic problems. We've all got different strengths and weaknesses, experiences, and even blind spots.
if you're not having fun = cut back.
if you are = keep doing it.
Jen
Dont give up just yet. Keep positive and keep chipping away. Do everything in your control to make sure you remain injury free. Stretch, tape up, ice, heat, elevate, whatever - ensure you allow yourself sufficient recovery to keep chipping away at your base.
Most of all relax, this is a really big thing you are attempting, but it should be fun!
Get in Rays ear also, he is a very astute man. I have no doubt with him in your corner you will achieve your goal.
I love your blog Jen, your whole journey has been really amazing and inspiring! Dont let fear get in your way now.
Post a Comment