Saturday, October 08, 2005

I know you like me...

Made the decision last night to skip today's planned run. I could feel the tenderness in my foot simply walking yesterday (and it was tender when I first got out of bed this morning) so I decided to give it another day's rest, bearing in mind that Sunday's long run is more important at this stage. A lesson I need to learn on this journey (and probably one that most runners struggle with) is when to run through a niggle and when to rest. Maybe I was being too conservative - but this time, I don't think so.

So rather than a run, I took myself off to the gym for a weights session consisting of:
* lunges (back then front leg on step)
* hamstring curls
* leg press,
only a single set of each (I'd like to be able to walk tomorrow, never mind run for 70mins!), then
* 2 x glute exercises
* single arm lat pulldowns
* single arm cable reverse flyes
* seated row
* bicep curls
* tricep pushdowns
* 2 x rotator cuff exercises,
each repeated twice followed by 30mins of stretching. A tough session; a few body parts were still a bit sore from my session with Satan on Thursday but it was a great workout.

Happy to report that my shins are fine today and my left foot is much improved. Will ice both again today just to be sure and will do some more stretching later. The iPod is all loaded up and ready to go!

4 comments:

Cirque said...

Good luck Jen - glad you chose to be sensible.

Tesso said...

Smart move Jen, at this stage those long runs are way more important. Though just quietly that weights sessions sounds tough.

And you'll have to let us know what you listen to on your journey.

CJ said...

What is going on Jen! - I don't read your blog for a couple of days and then when I do, you've developed sore shins, sore foot.... Anyway, good to hear that both are on the improve so hope your long run goes well tomorrow (well today actually - I'm still up in the wee hours of the night doing work) How was Lindt Cafe by the way?

Hilda said...

When to stop, is something that we know, but don't want to accept because we love running, but still if we continue, we will be stop longer.
I also developed those shint pains...they should be just a part of all. Like this you'll do better on sunday, good run.
Thanks, I'll keep visiting you.