Sunday, June 03, 2007

NOSHing with mojo

It's been an interesting day - weekend - really. I've been a bit lacking in my running mojo lately - combined with being in a 'fugly' mood, I wasn't really looking forward to this race (despite the fact that it was one of my favourite races of last year). If it wasn't for the fact that I had arranged to stay at Owly's place on Saturday night & give her a lift to the race on Sunday, I would have stayed at home in bed instead. Thankfully Owly's company, advice & simple presence always manages to sooth a savage Jen - thanks (((Owly))) - so I arrived at the start, still lacking mojo, but at least somewhat closer to being on an even keel.

After starting at the back of the pack, Owly took off & I could not keep up with her - she was flying! I tried to settle into my run but I couldn't. I could spin it & say that I was running conservatively but the truth is that I was being lazy - I was happy to sit behind people kinda sorta running at my pace rather than overtake them, particularly on the sections I know that I run well. I just didn't really want to be out there.

Thankfully I found my mojo somewhere around the 8km mark after taking a wrong turn. I got back on course & found that I had no-one in front of me for a downhill technical section - I love running fast downhill - so I flew down there & suddenly remembered why I love trail running. My mojo returned shortly thereafter. I ran the rest of the race strongly, much better than I did last year. I set my sights on my course PB but finished in 1:55:18 (about 90sec outside last years time). I was annoyed that I missed my course PB but given my laziness in the first half of the race and the fact that I haven't run further than 6k in the last 3 months since Six Foot, I am happy with that result. My left PF is a bit tight but I'm pleased to say that there were no complaints from my ITBs :-)



12 weeks to go to Willy 2 Billy - a race I missed last year - today was a good start to my campaign.

MTD: 19.68k - it's only the 3rd & already more kms than last month !

11 comments:

strewth said...

Well done Jen - a good run! CJ will be back a week before me cos she's going a week before me so will be here for the Bush Capital. We arrive home on 26 July (Thursday) so it's probably unlikely I'll be ready to run the Bush Capital on the Sunday. However, I do hope we still catch up that weekend!

Anonymous said...

Jen - considering the fact that you have had a busy month and you haven't trained all that much, 90 seconds off your PB is nothing to be upset about. Nice job!!

Gronk said...

Well done on what looks like a great day out Jen. :)

Lulu said...

I know that feeling of not wanting to be there.. happens at most races! Good to see you got your mojo back though and I'm sure you W2B campaign is going to be smooth sailing.

Rags said...

Nice run Jen, it must have felt good when the mojo bounced back when least expected.

Did you catch Owly?

Hamburglar said...

Nice one Jen! It will be interesting to see what those 250k's at altitude did for your fitness in the coming weeks/months.

Me reckons alot!

What does NOSH mean anyway?

Tesso said...

Gotta love your definition of lazy - running for 1h55m :-)))

Unknown said...

any time!

Ewen said...

Good run Jen! Imagine how well you'd go if you trained for these things ;)

You should use your downhill ability to Cox's on March 8 next year :)

TA and the Gnome said...

I don't reckon it was laziness Jen. I reckon it was the underwater section around the 3k mark on your graph that slowed you up. ;-)

I ran W2G much the same way last year - slow to start, then picking up and really finishing strongly when it all starts to come together mid-race. Not a bad way to run occasionally!

Gnome

Horrie said...

Good to see you recover your mojo. Sometimes, it is just good to get out there and run without thinking too much.