Sunday, June 17, 2007

Up, up & away !

I headed up to Katoomba today for my rock climbing course. From misty, foggy & downright cold Katoomba we headed to Mount York which is on the very western edge of the Blue Mountains where it was cool & fortunately dry - the sun from time to time came out before hiding behind the clouds again.



Let's see - the first thing I did was step sideways off a ledge & abseil down a 25m cliff - the first time I've ever abseiled. And then I climbed back up said cliff - the first time I've climbed outdoors & we started on a 25m climb. OMG. The second climb I struggled with & didn't make it to the top. And the third - the subject of the photos - involved my instructor climbing up first & once he was at the top, I followed, removing the equipment from the wall as I went. It is such a head game - I kept telling myself that I had to control my thoughts - I was safe, I had to trust the rope & footholds (some of which were no bigger than a 50c piece) & to use technique rather than sheer strength to get me up the wall. I came off the wall twice & have a rather large lump on my right shin to show for it. Quite simply it was scary & exhilarating - talk about an adrenaline rush !

I am absolutely exhausted now - mentally & physically. After a baked dinner (thanks Mum!) I am going to sleep very soundly tonight :-)

A few photos - further evidence of my insanity Tesso :-)







This woman was climbing the same wall - of course with more skill, efficiency & technique than me. But this photo gives you an idea of the height I was at when the other photos were taken....

11 comments:

Hamburglar said...

wow!

looks like fun

Tesso said...

Holy crap! I get wobbly knees just looking at those pics.

Ellie80 said...

it sort of looks like fun... but it also sort of looks freakily scary!!!!! good on you girl!!!

Ewen said...

Now you're insane.

Cirque said...

Yep - officially insane.
Good on ya but!

undercover brother said...

luv that last photo!
this reminds me of the jack osbourne series on adventure chanel.
so marathon de sables must be coming up soon?
and we've already discussed the basejumping havent we!

miners said...

wow - mountain climbing now! See how much I miss?

I'm afraid you had my palms sweaty as well looking at those pics - you're on your own kiddo

Hannah said...

OMGOMGOMG - you are definitely a braver woman than me. I don't think I could cope with heights like that!

trailblazer777 said...

awesome photos!!!

Samurai Running said...

Well done Jen!

I'd like to try but I make it a rule to avoid any sport that requires the use of a helmet.

Fe-lady said...

Oh my goodness...NO WAY could you get me to do this! (I would pee my pants!)
You are amazing!