Saturday, October 15, 2005

CR cheersquad road trip to Fitzroy Falls...

Today I got up at 4.45am to drive 2 hours to cheer on a (running) race. If you had told me that even a year ago, I would have told you that you are mad.

After getting fuel I picked the Owl up from her place at about 5.45am and then we hit the road to Fitzroy Falls. The Owl had a nice nap on the trip down and I had a good drive thanks to the Cross City tunnel and absolutely no traffic. 1hr 45mins & only one wrong turn later, we arrived at Fitzroy Falls and briefly said hello to the usual suspects before taking up position for the start of the marathon at 7am. Once the marathon had started, the Owl, Gnscon's wife (CR handle-less), Bernie G & I stood around and talked and laughed and gossiped and drank coffee and ate (egg and bacon roll, yum!) before the start of the 5km and 10km race at 8am.

Once the shorter races had started, the Owl, Gnscon's wife & I walked down to see the falls (more like a trickle actually) and the view from the lookout. By the time we started heading back the leading 5kms runners were heading for the finish so we took up position about 200m from the finish and cheered all the 5km and 10km runners in. It was then back to the start to kill time (oh, and eat all the wonderful food that LuckyLegs had prepared for us). Once the marathon runners started arriving, we moved back to the finish line for more cheering. Once all of the CRs and most of the runners were home, we moved back to the marquee we had commandeered (which incidentally was blue and yellow) and spent a couple of hours eating, chatting and laughing. Earlier in the day we had our photo taken for the local paper - can't wait to see it! A wonderful day and a very well organised event. I will definitely run next year.

A big (personal) highlight of the day for me is that the Eagle has offered to run the CC Half with me!!! I've told him my goal time so we'll see how good his pacing is, LOL!! How very cool; I'm really looking forward to it.

By the time I got home, I was too buggered to go for a swim (cheering really is hard work!) - so I'll do my glute/VMO exercises and glute/ITB stretches tonight instead. Tomorrow after a few hours at the office, the Owl & I are off for a 60min run around the Bay.

I forgot to mention that I have a new toy - well, I don't have it yet but I will have it by the end of the month. And no, it's not a Garmin (but close!)

5 comments:

CJ said...

So is it a GPS thingy?! :)

Reading your blog entries about your ITB problems reminds me of all my frustrating experiences with my ITB last year - it was definitely a case of one step forward and 10 steps back at times. I had cortisone injections as well - the first one worked a treat ...for a while. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Fitzroy Falls - sounds like fun. Maybe I'll add that to my list of runs to do next year!

Unknown said...

Glad you enjoyed the day as much as I did, Jen!

Do have any details yet about CC half marathon apart from the date? I'd like to try & get there & join you & Ray - for the start only! - it would complete the year for me!

Katie said...

Hey Jen...
sounds like a great day!!! I wish I could have been there... but family first :)
That is fantastic to have a personal pacer... very exciting!

Eagle said...

Sounds like the comments are more about your personal pacer than the experinces on the day!!!! I am very pleased to have made the offer as I was not sure how it would be taken - you know some one invading your private space. Seems that is not the case.

I will read your Blogg with much more interest in the lead up to the half. Train hard but more importantly train wisely.

Don Juan said...

Well done Jen making the effort to go done to FF, the good karma will come at the CC half.