Friday, October 07, 2005

Shins and intervals

I found Puntermatt's blog (which is always entertaing and inspiring) particularly interesting today given my interval session yesterday and my shin tenderness today. I thought I'd replicate part of his blog here as something I need to keep in mind:

"Whilst its a great feeling to train yourself to exhaustion and my cardio vascular system can cope with it, I believe that my shins can't cope with it every time. Anyone who has ever tried to run fast when utterly exhausted will know the feeling of having a heavy stride with legs flaying about awkwardly. I believe when I push myself through exhaustion to continue running fast, the flaws that I have with my running technique exarcerbate the stress placed upon my shins. The trick now, is to learn to train hard at speedwork and reach the threshold of exhaustion, but not cross it and instead continue to run with a smooth and economical stride that places the least amount of stress on my shins."

3 comments:

Tesso said...

I'm with you Jen, Puntermatt's most recent blog certainly gave me something to think about.

As did your mention of the Lindt Cafe ... mmmmmm :-)

Katie said...

Wise words!!!
It is such a fine line between pushing yourself and causing injury. I htink you have the right idea to listen to you body... rest when you feel you need it and you will be fine! Just increase the speed stuff gradually... if anything will make you go bung its speed!

Very exciting getting you entry form! Now you need to send it in, it will make all the training easier when you have committed!
I am off the lind cafe for the first time tommorow.. I can't wait!!
Kit

Wobbly man said...

Yep, gotta agree with you and Puntermatt. I hope the ice is helping!