Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Namaste

One of my role models and heroes, Sue Fear, died in Nepal this week while descending Mt Manaslu. I have been a big fan of Sue's for many years. I followed her climb of Everest in 2003 and had the pleasure of meeting her (very briefly) after a talk she gave about her Everest climb. She was one gutsy woman who thrived & succeeded in a male-dominated sport and gave the mountains and the environment the respect they deserve. A role model to anyone who has ever thought to themselves "I'd love to...." but never had the courage to take a risk in life.
_________________________

I woke up feeling very tight & tender after the Tiger's massage yesterday. Having a lower body rest day the day after a massage seems to work best for me. 20mins of stretches this morning before work then a tough upper body weights session with Satan tonight consisting of 2 circuits of:

* dumbbell chest press on the swiss ball;
* single arm bent overs row balancing on a swiss ball;
* (assisted) chin ups;
* barbell bicep curls;
* barbell shoulder press,

followed by an extra set of the chest press and bent-over rows to finish. It's been 2 weeks since I've done an upper body session and I felt it today. Still, it's done. 30mins easy run tomorrow then resting up for Sunday's little adventure....

5 comments:

miners said...

Gee Jen - really sorry to hear about your connection with Sue. Tragic story - and I konw how much store you put in the inspirational people in your life.

Hope tomorrow is brighter and bluer of sky

miners said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
CJ said...

That reminds me - I have an upper body weights session waiting for me tomorrow morning. Oh joy! Actually, I hate to admit this but I'm actually enjoying the gym - can't believe I'm even saying that!

Wobbly man said...

Nice post Jen. People who inspire and motivate are so precious. I'm sure you will make Sue's contribution meaningful through your life and your challenges!

Don Juan said...

Tragic loss in the mountains. I've done 3 weeks on Annapurna circuit and Kilimanjaro but nothing in Sue's league. Sobering stuff.

Should get out more on the mountain trails while we can.