Monday, October 02, 2006

Sea change. The Preface.

This post could also be titled "touching up my (westie) roots".

I was going to leave it another week or so before posting about this but Owly has outed me ;-) I'm actually feeling a bit nervous about posting this - because it makes it seem real & not just an idea or plan - does that make sense?

I've just started packing up my house. I'll be moving back to my folks place at Penriff before the end of the month in order to save some money over the next few months before the big 'sea change' kicks off. I'm actually looking forward to heading home - I am blessed to have a wonderful & close relationship with my folks & love spending time with them - and failing that, I'll go & house sit at my brother's place ;-)

Combining work, training & sleep with an extra 2+ hours commute each day is going to be interesting. At the very least, I'll be able to get more reading - or sleeping - done on the train!

And there are other dangers - including the packet of Tim Tams in Mum's fridge that never runs out & the selection of desserts that my skinny Dad eats most nights. Not to mention the traditional Tuesday night baked dinner which I have missed out on every Tuesday night for the last 13 years! And every evening social invite in the city will have to be accompanied by an offer of accomodation (hint, hint). But I am looking forward to the change & its associated benefits – including getting out on my bike more often. Not only will I be at the foot of the Blue Mountains & its wonderful trails but the roads near my folks place are wide, open & quiet - so no more scary Military Road traffic for me! It's been 13 years since I lived out west but as an uncle has often said to me 'you can take the girl out of Penriff….' ;-)

Don Juan asked me on Saturday night when to expect the 'big' sea change announcement – don’t hold your breath – it’s still about 6 to 9 months away… A woman's gotta keep some secrets around here ;-)

9 comments:

Don Juan said...

You won't need to go home with a sleeping-bag and wardrobe in the office.
This sea change will be longer than the Da Vinci Code. My secret sea change is I'm becoming a karaoke singer.

Ellie80 said...

jen - run for the hills before someone gives DJ a microphone and his own reality tv show...

of course you're nervous, its a big deal and if you weren't nervous I would think you were a freak ;) it'll be great and i have a nice person sized couch...

Cirque said...

I'd be careful about telling people you're expecting a big change in nine months ....

Ewen said...

From your CR signature, it's no secret Jen. Congratulations! :)

undercover brother said...

a never sending supply of tim tams and trails?
thats not a sea change thats a dream ;)

miners said...

damn - cirque beat me to it. And I thought I was going to sound SO clever ...

wonderful idea Jen - hope the extra cash helps with the new cafe friends around the corner. Word is, they're a bit demanding with their appearance fees ;)

"but as an uncle has often said to me 'you can take the girl out of Penriff….' ;-)" You know, I had always been meaning to say something about that ...

Wobbly man said...

The beginning of a new adventure Jen? I'm looking forward to reading about your journey too! How exciting!

Sparkie said...

This one's for you babe!

Jen said...

LOL!

Thanks Sparkie!