Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Abs by Satan

A much need sleep-in this morning (funny that 6.30am is considered a sleep-in these days).

Off to the gym at 2pm for another session with Satan - an upper body (including abs) circuit followed by hammie, quad and hip flexor stretches. After the session I spent another 20mins stretching - and a further 20mins stretching (+ hip flexor strengthening exercises) tonight trying to iron out my legs. At the moment I almost dread going for a run; not because of the run itself (which I love) but after all my injury problems this year, I am, in all blog honesty, scared of another/more injuries, particularly with my mind firmly focused on the CC Half in December. I know that's a v. negative mindset (which I am working on) but it's where I'm at mentally right now...

9 comments:

Wobbly man said...

Sounds like a normal mindset to me! Just be patient with yourself Jen. I have no doubt you will do the CC half and finish it easily. We are all learning from you reading and seeing the benefits you are getting from your spin sessions...

miners said...

yep - afraid it's a normal enough mindset for me too. It's hard to ever shake the thought of getting injured again from your mind when you're running. Once you've been there, it is so demoralising to go back there.

Stay safe - but get yourself out there Jen!

Tesso said...

Ha ha, I thought you were going to say you were dreaded running because of the magpies. See, I am a true magophobic.

But I know how you feel. After having a few months off with injury a couple of years ago I was pretty much the same for a while. But you'll snap out of it before you know it.

By the way your tough gym workouts make me feel like such a wuss!

Bennyr said...

Hang in there, Jen.

You're giving yourself the best chance by managing everything carefully.

Lulu said...

Can't add much to what those other wise blogsters have said. I must admit I do think it's a constant case of 'managing' the body so that you do enough to improve, but not too much that you get injured. Stick with it and after a few injury free months you'll feel a lot more confident.

Lulu said...

Oh and I forgot.. one more sleep until the Lindt cafe excursion.. I'm thinking a baby chocolate croissant (all calories removed!) will be my reward for the tough SWEAT session...

Katie said...

I know how you feel!!! I hated my ITB injury with a passion... now I am terrified of injuries! The first ssign of a niggle and I freak a little. I am just trying to listen to my body, rest when I think I need to and unfortunately am payning for my physio to go on a holiday :)

Gronk said...

Those injuries will leave you alone soon Jen. Just don't stress you body out whilst its trying to heal.
Gronk :)

Don Juan said...

Strong knees powering up hills augurs well for a quantum leap in fitness.

I look at the CC half as just a summer training run for the SMH half in May when you'll bring it all together, in preparation for six foot track in 2007. Plenty of time really.