Well it's nowhere near 100% yet but it is better than it was last week.
My physio told me to find a local oval for my first run post-ITB problems.. boring!!! After a mental tug-of-war between going to the local oval for 20-boring-minutes of going round and round and round and round or heading down to the trail and running for 20mins along the flatest and softest section (which option had much more appeal), I decided to be sensible and take the advice of my physio so I headed for the nearest oval - and less than 1/4 of the way into my first lap, I was dive-bombed by a magpie. Grrr. I shrieked like the girl I am because it scared the shite out of me. There is nothing I hate more than being dive-bombed by magpies....so I beat a hasty retreat and decided instead to run along the only flat section of road near my house instead.
About 10mins in, a (minor) niggle developed in my knee again. Strangely it was a bit different than last week because (a) I felt it through the whole stride (and not just the clawback like last week) and (b) there is no niggle when walking down stairs (unlike last week). So I came straight home to ice and stretch. I'll do my stoopid glute exercises later this afternoon before taking to my ITB with a rolling pin, to be followed by the voltaren/glad wrap combination....I was also a bit tight in one calf but there is no post-run tenderness on my tibia so I'll ice and stretch that as well....
3 comments:
You must be going though a lot of styrofoam cups Jen! I hope the niggles soon disappear for you!
Take it slowly, Jen. These ITB's are temperamental things.
My routine for combatting it was:
1) Apply Voltaren gel to ITB.
2) Ice for 10 minutes.
3) Apply Voltaren gel again.
4) Wrap in Glad Wrap.
Much mucking around, but it gets good results.
I am the ultimate slow oval runner. Here are some survival tips for it:
1. Run first thing or you'll lose motivation quickly.
2. Pretend you're at the A series or something and someone really good is just in front of you all the way until the end. :)
3. Sing songs in your head. Invent words for them, then invent really unreasonable words for them.
4. Look to the outside of the oval rather than the inside, you might see an occcasional cat or something!
5. Every second lap turn around and run the other way.
6. Run different numbers of laps on alternate days.
7. Magpies will make the run more interesting and they're good for speedwork.
And wear sunglasses and a hat around the magpies to give yourself some protection.
Happy oval running!
Post a Comment