Friday, December 29, 2006

I know this much is true

I have a 'no personal stuff in the blog' rule. While I recognise that what goes on in my 'real' life influences my running - physically & mentally - I am a very private person and play my cards close to my chest - those who know me well would agree. But I'm going to break my rule today (yikes!) but don't get used to it - it's going back to a training diary tomorrow ;-)

I re-read one of my favourite books during the course of the year. I have always been drawn to the final paragraphs in it but they took on a special significance for me this year -

I am not a smart man, particularly, but one day, at long last, I stumbled from the dark woods of my own, and my family's, and my country's past, holding in my hands these truths: that love grows from the rich loam of forgiveness; that mongrels make good dogs; that the evidence of God exists in the roundness of things.

This much, at least, I've figured out. I know this much is true.


I believe that if you have decided to make a change in your life (whether it is lose weight, change jobs/careers, end a relationship that doesn't give you what you need or get a tattoo), you make the change when you make the decision - that you don't wait for an arbitrary date (like NYD) & hope that you wake up a different person. For this reason, I've never been one for contemplation, reflection or even celebration at new years.

But this has been an 'unusual' year for me. It has been filled with challenges & difficult times - professionally & personally - but also with incredible growth. I am a very different person from the one I was at the start of the year - so much so that I am only now beginning to realise just how different I am. From a new job, planning a wedding, relationship breakdown, moving house & (most recently) death, 2006 has been a rollercoaster physically, mentally & emotionally. I have learnt a great deal - about myself & other people. I am grateful (& dare I say it, proud) of the fact that I took most, if not all, of the opportunities that were presented to me (both personally & professionally) and learnt from them-

...one day, at long last, I stumbled from the dark woods of my own...past, holding in my hands these truths...

1. The greatest gift you can receive - or give - is no-questions-asked, absolute & unconditional love & support.

2. When the proverbial shite is about to hit the fan, your true friends will be standing right beside you. Concern yourself only with those people - everyone else is an acquaintance or 'fairweather' friend.

3. Never be afraid to admit you made a mistake - no matter what the cost - be it emotional, mental, physical or financial. Life is too short to stuff around living a false life or one which does not enrich your soul.

4. I love rock climbing ;-)

5. Goethe was right - Whatever you can do or dream you can do, begin it now. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it NOW. Be bold & take a risk. It is a cliche but life really is too short to waste.

6. A mistake is just that. It doesn't make you a bad person (thanks Owly). And once it is made, there is nothing you can do to change its consequences - all you can do is learn from it and move forward living with integrity.

7. I love running long, flat roads - the kind that make mere mortals ask "Are we there yet?" ;-)

8. But trail running is my one true love :-)

9. The only thing you have control over is your own actions & thoughts. It is a waste of time & energy to worry about things over which you have no control. Letting go of concerns about what other people say (gossip) or do or even whether you will come last (or first) in a race frees you mentally & emotionally from a great deal of (self-imposed) tension & stress.

10. Tough situations don't last but tough people do (thanks Gnome).

11. Always listen to your gut instinct. It knows best. Ignore your gut instinct at your own risk. And once you've ignored it & stuffed up, your gut instinct will still be there saying "I told ya so. NOW will you listen to me?"

12. Red shoes & pig tails make you run faster ;-)

13. Max Erhmann & 2P are right - the universe IS unfolding as it should. You may not understand the reasons why it is unfolding in such a shitty manner. You may never understand it. In fact, it may not even be about you - it might be somebody's lesson to learn. But there can be no doubt that it is unfolding as it should.

14. I am stronger - emotionally, mentally & physically - than I ever imagined. And I become stronger each & every day that I am true to, and back, myself.

This much, at least, I've figured out. I know this much is true.

15 comments:

Ellie80 said...

lovely reading my dear - and well worth the wait :)

thank you for sharing and thank you for your friendship this year. it has meant a lot to me.

more to say - but i am sure it will unfold, as it should, over more chocolate at lindt, or along the trail/road/path we run, or over a beer/wine at the pub...

may there be many more of those in 2007 :)

Cirque said...

Gee I have wise friends ;)

{{{{{{JEN}}}}}}.

TA and the Gnome said...

Jen, glad you decided to be a little less private on this one occasion. There's a lot of truth in what you have written. You'll have to tell me about that book on Monday morning :-)

Gnome

speedygeoff said...

Now, I know that's a "Spandau Ballet" line, but I like the Evermore "version" better:

"Moonlight shines, down its rays, oh
Fire I see, in your gaze,
And I know it's true, believe it too, can feel it too,
And it's clear to me, no fantasy, reality,

As a child, I had a dream,
I saw a bird, with broken wings,
I woke up,

And I know it's true, believe it too, can feel it too,
And I know it's near, I fail to hear, cause it's in the air,

Oh, tonight, just feel alive,
Try again
Tonight, to be alive, to live inside, we die again

A sign, in your eyes, oh fire, will rise again,
It'll take you over, and burn away tonight"

Write on, Jen.

Superflake said...

Well said Jen. We all have years that test our heart strings to breaking point. Its how we come out the other side that makes us as a person. We have a motto in our house above the stairs "Courage is the thing, if courage goes all goes". You certainly needed that this year. See you at Black Stump.

Anonymous said...

What a well written poignant post. I can certainly relate to some of these things. Happy New year and wishing you nothing but goodness in the upcoming year!

2P said...

Nice post Jen - you cerainly are a different Jen to last years model.

Dare to dream kiddo ;-)

miners said...

Yes thanks cirque, it seems I have benfitted tremendously from my wise friends. Not only is it a new Jen, but my life has been enriched by being part of your 2006 Jen :)

btw - mongrels make SPECTACULAR dogs :)

Wobbly man said...

More power to you Jen!

Rachel said...

Good on you Jen. Great insight and strength. Good luck with your changes as they come (rather than good luck in 2007!).

Ewen said...

I'm okay with that. I know you've had something of a year Jen. Stay strong. I'm with you on 8.

CJ said...

"Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You." Thanks for that Jen. Looking forward to seeing you in 2007.

Dave said...

Onya Jen!

Learn from the past but look forward to the future, I reckon 2007 will be a bottler for the newer Jen :)

Not sure I'll be adopting the pigtail option to run faster though....

Lulu said...

I'm very proud to call you a friend and you have handled what life threw at you with great spirit this year. 2007 will be a cracker for you I'm sure with so many new challenges, opportunities and possibilities ahead.
Happy New Year!

Unknown said...

The best post of 2006. It may have taken me till 2007 to read it but it's still your best work to date. I may well have to bookmark it.

You're welcome. Love ya and love ya work x